My poor co-workers in Buffalo, I get a feeling that they are already looking into their calendar for January-March in planning a Florida market visit, good excuse to get away from their cold brutal winter and expense it to the Co, lol.
By the way, I have spend 5 days at the end of January, hopefully lake Erie would be frozen up by then.
MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1928 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0814 AM CST THU NOV 20 2014
AREAS AFFECTED...LEE OF LAKE ERIE AND LAKE ONTARIO
VALID 201414Z - 201845Z
SUMMARY...SNOWFALL RATES /EXCEEDING 2 INCHES PER HOUR/ AND THE POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSNOW ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE BY MIDDAY IN LEE OF LAKES ERIE AND ONTARIO AND PERSIST THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.
DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN SOUNDINGS /INCREASING HEIGHT OF THE INVERSION ACROSS LOWER MI BETWEEN 00Z AND 12Z TODAY/ ARE INDICATIVE OF THE COOLING TEMPERATURES AND HEIGHT FALLS SPREADING EWD WITH THE APPROACH OF THE UPPER GREAT LAKES MID-LEVEL TROUGH. 12Z SOUNDING AT BUF SHOWED SIMILAR TRENDS IN THE LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES...AND THIS TREND WILL CONTINUE AS THE COLDER AIR SPREADS EWD ACROSS THE RELATIVELY WARMER LOWER GREAT LAKES TODAY. FORECAST SOUNDINGS PER 12Z RAP/HRRR OVER AND EAST OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES CONFIRM THESE OBSERVATIONS WITH AN INCREASE IN BUOYANCY. THUS...THE INCREASE IN CONVECTIVE DEPTH SHOULD RESULT IN THE POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSNOW EMBEDDED WITHIN THE ONGOING BANDS...FURTHER ENHANCING THE HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES.
CWOP ID: DW2721, CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11 NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member President | Director of Operations - StormCast
SKYSUMMITPresident | Director of OperationsAdministrator
Want to see snow? Head west towards southern California, Las Vegas and Arizona. Winter Storm Warnings are up for that area for tomorrow night into New Year's Eve.
Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...UPDATED NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA 530 PM PST MON DEC 29 2014
UPDATED IMPACTS SECTION
...LOW ELEVATION SNOW TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...
..A VERY COLD STORM ORIGINATING FROM CANADA WILL BRING LOW ELEVATION SNOW TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL RAPIDLY TUESDAY NIGHT TO AROUND 2000 FEET...AND MAY FALL AS LOW AS 1000 FEET IS SOME AREAS. HEAVY SNOW IS LIKELY IN THE MOUNTAINS. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ARE LIKELY IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS INCLUDING THE APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS. SNOW IS ALSO POSSIBLE IN YUCAIPA AND BEAUMONT IN THE INLAND EMPIRE...AND NEAR ALPINE IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY. SNOW SHOWERS WILL TAPER OFF WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON FROM NORTH TO SOUTH.
CAZ048-050-055>058-060>062-301300- /O.CON.KSGX.WS.W.0004.141231T0000Z-150101T0000Z/ SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE- SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS- RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS- SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS- COACHELLA VALLEY-SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS- INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS...BEAUMONT...YUCAIPA... POTRERO...ANGELUS OAKS...BALDWIN LAKE...BARTON FLATS... BIG BEAR CITY...BIG BEAR LAKE...CRESTLINE...FAWNSKIN... FOREST FALLS...I-15 AT CAJON SUMMIT...I-15 AT 3500 FEET... LAKE ARROWHEAD...MOUNT BALDY...MOUNTAIN HOME VILLAGE...OAK GLEN... PHELAN...RUNNING SPRINGS...TWIN PEAKS...WRIGHTWOOD...AGUANGA... ANZA...GARNER VALLEY...IDYLLWILD...MOUNTAIN CENTER...PINE COVE... PINYON PINES...VISTA GRANDE...CASE SPRINGS... ORTEGA HIGHWAY AT 2600 FEET...BOULEVARD...CAMERON...CAMPO... CUYAMACA...DESCANSO...JULIAN...LAKE HENSHAW...MORENA VILLAGE... MOUNT LAGUNA...OAK GROVE...PINE HILLS...PINE VALLEY...RANCHITA... SANTA YSABEL...WARNER SPRINGS...ADELANTO...APPLE VALLEY... EL MIRAGE...HELENDALE...HESPERIA...LUCERNE VALLEY...VICTORVILLE... WHITEWATER 530 PM PST MON DEC 29 2014
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO 4 PM PST WEDNESDAY ABOVE 2000 FEET...
A WINTER STORM WARNING ABOVE 2000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO 4 PM PST WEDNESDAY.
* LOCATIONS INCLUDED: ALL MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS ABOVE 2000 FEET. THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE INLAND EMPIRE AND THE SAN DIEGO VALLEYS. THE LOWER DESERT FOOTHILLS INCLUDING WHITEWATER AT THE NORTHERN END OF THE COACHELLA VALLEY.
* LOCATIONS NOT INCLUDED: PALM SPRINGS...INDIO...RANCHO MIRAGE...COACHELLA...THERMAL...BORREGO SPRINGS AND OCOTILLO WELLS.
* SNOW LEVELS...FALLING FROM AROUND 4500 FEET IN THE NORTH AND 6000 FEET IN THE SOUTH ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON...TO BETWEEN 2000 AND 2500 FEET OVERNIGHT. LOCALLY LOWER SNOW LEVELS DOWN TO 1000 FEET.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 3000 FEET WITH THE HIGHEST TOTALS ABOVE 5000 FEET. 1 TO 5 INCHES IN BETWEEN 2000 AND 3000 FEET. 2 TO 7 INCHES IN THE HIGH DESERT.
* TEMPERATURES...VERY COLD TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. LOW TEMPERATURES WILL FALL INTO THE 30S AND LOW 40S WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS....AND BOTTOM OUT IN THE TEENS AND LOW 20S IN THE HIGH DESERT. SINGLE DIGIT LOWS ARE LIKELY IN THE MOUNTAINS. WIND CHILL VALUES MAY FALL BELOW ZERO IN THE MOUNTAINS.
* WINDS...OVER THE HIGH DESERTS AND NORTHERN MOUNTAINS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH TUESDAY EVENING...SHIFTING TO THE NORTH WEDNESDAY MORNING. IN THE SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS...WEST TO WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH. IN THE INLAND EMPIRE...GUSTY NORTH WINDS OF 15 TO 30 MPH WILL RESULT IN UNUSUALLY LOW WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE 30S TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING.
* VISIBILITY...REDUCED TO BELOW ONE-HALF MILE IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
* IMPACTS...MAJOR TRAVEL PROBLEMS IN THE MOUNTAINS DUE TO SNOW AND ICE. DELAYS OR CLOSURES ARE LIKELY. THE MAJOR TRAVEL CORRIDORS WILL BE IMPACTED INCLUDING I-15 IN THE CAJON PASS AND I-8 THROUGH THE SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS. SNOW IS ALSO POSSIBLE ON I-10 THROUGH THE SAN GORGONIO PASS. MANY STATE AND COUNTY ROADS IN THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS WILL BE SNOW AND ICE COVERED.
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD...EXTRA CLOTHES OR BLANKETS...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
Winter Storm Warning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAS VEGAS NV 246 PM PST MON DEC 29 2014
...RARE LOW ELEVATION SNOW NEW YEAR`S EVE INTO NEW YEAR`S DAY...
.A COLD AND SOMEWHAT MOIST STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE SOUTH ACROSS CALIFORNIA ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON INTO TUESDAY NIGHT AND THEN ACROSS THE MOJAVE DESERT BETWEEN NEW YEAR`S EVE INTO NEW YEAR`S DAY. WITH SUFFICIENT COLD AIR IN PLACE AND MOISTURE MOVING INTO IT...SNOW WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO FALL AND ACCUMULATE AS LOW AS AROUND 2000 FEET.
CAZ524-525-NVZ021-022-301245- /O.UPG.KVEF.WS.A.0005.141231T0000Z-150101T1800Z/ /O.NEW.KVEF.WS.W.0004.141231T0000Z-150101T1200Z/ EASTERN MOJAVE DESERT-MORONGO BASIN- LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA-SOUTHERN CLARK COUNTY- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MOUNTAIN PASS...MITCHELL CAVERNS... MORONGO VALLEY...YUCCA VALLEY...PRIMM...SEARCHLIGHT...CAL-NEV-ARI 246 PM PST MON DEC 29 2014
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO 4 AM PST THURSDAY ABOVE 2000 FEET...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAS VEGAS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING ABOVE 2000 FEET FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO 4 AM PST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* TIMING: PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TUESDAY EVENING INTO TUESDAY NIGHT...BE STEADIEST AND HEAVIEST WEDNESDAY MORNING INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING...THEN TAPER OFF LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING INTO EARLY NEW YEAR`S DAY MORNING.
* SNOW LEVEL: SNOW LEVELS WILL START BETWEEN 2500 AND 3000 FEET THEN FALL TO AROUND 2000 FEET.
* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: A TRACE TO 3 INCHES IS EXPECTED IN MOST AREAS BETWEEN 2000 AND 3500 FEET WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES ABOVE 3500 FEET. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY IN ANY AREAS THAT SIT UNDER ANY PRECIPITATION BANDS LONGER OR SIT IN FAVORABLE TERRAIN LOCATIONS. SOME WET SNOW MAY MIX IN WITH RAIN AS LOW AS 1500 FEET BUT IS NOT EXPECTED TO ACCUMULATE.
* WINDS: NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS AT 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 15 TO 20 MPH.
* IMPACTS: TRAVEL COULD BE DIFFICULT...IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE...ON AREA ROADS. PASSES...GRADES AND SUMMITS WOULD BE THE MOST TREACHEROUS AREAS AS WELL AS ROADS IN LOWER ELEVATIONS WHERE SNOW REMOVAL EQUIPMENT IS VERY LIMITED. TRAVEL FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COULD BE IMPACTED ALONG INTERSTATE 15 IN MANY LOCATIONS BETWEEN THE CAJON PASS AND LAS VEGAS INCLUDING MOUNTAIN PASS AND HALLORAN SUMMIT. HIGHWAY 95 ESPECIALLY IN AND AROUND SEARCHLIGHT AS WELL AS RAILROAD PASS WILL ALSO BE IMPACTED.
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY SINCE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
coffeecups: Just like that S word, whenever something is not hyped, then it will probably happen.
May 26, 2017 13:52:25 GMT -6
SKYSUMMIT: I'm thinking this hurricane season will keep us a little busy. Nothing scientific, but just the idea that it really hasn't been hyped that much.
May 23, 2017 21:01:18 GMT -6
coffeecups: Guess I better take the sandbags!
May 23, 2017 14:31:18 GMT -6
SKYSUMMIT: Sandbags and squirt cheese
May 22, 2017 20:46:04 GMT -6
coffeecups: Only a week and a half until tropical season!
May 20, 2017 11:12:02 GMT -6
coffeecups: I remember when the temps for May got into the 90's.
May 19, 2017 21:39:50 GMT -6
coffeecups: For the month of May, this weather has been more like April (except for the rain).
May 19, 2017 21:38:52 GMT -6
PinkFreud: No offense to whomever keeps changing the look of this forum, but this white theme is driving me crazy. What happened to the nice blues and grays?
May 17, 2017 23:51:41 GMT -6
coffeecups: That 'some rain on Friday' became a tornado about 3 miles away (as the crow flies). What a surprise! Glad I didn't have any flooding!
May 14, 2017 10:47:58 GMT -6
SKYSUMMIT: Yea, other than maybe some rain on Friday, we may be in a dry stretch.
May 6, 2017 10:08:16 GMT -6
coffeecups: Thanks Sky, looks like good weather for me.
May 5, 2017 21:03:01 GMT -6
coffeecups: I AM very fortunate that I didn't flood last night.
May 4, 2017 12:37:02 GMT -6
coffeecups: Mother Mary took care of my property again. Even the cat's food and water were by the door instead of floating to the drain. AMAZING!
May 4, 2017 12:35:23 GMT -6
coffeecups: Good to hear from you Sky. Is anyone else here??????
May 1, 2017 21:22:36 GMT -6
SKYSUMMIT: Actually Coffee..I haven't been around that much either. At least not nearly as much as I used to. Work has been extremely busy! It's a busy busy time in real estate
Apr 30, 2017 21:06:22 GMT -6
coffeecups: Anyone here besides me and Sky?
Apr 27, 2017 8:34:33 GMT -6
coffeecups: I'm still lurking at the coming weather!
Apr 17, 2017 16:44:08 GMT -6
coffeecups: WOW! My patio was dry when I got home.
Apr 16, 2017 18:22:16 GMT -6
coffeecups: Came home to Harvey from Slidell. Had a little rain here and there. There was no rain in Slidell when I left at 3:30pm. While in NO EAST, I saw where it looked like it was storming around Covington going towards Slidell. Wet but no rain when I got home
Apr 16, 2017 18:21:07 GMT -6