Android app "wX" ( FREE/OSS ) - advanced weather app Feb 23, 2016 11:17:59 GMT -6 SKYSUMMIT and nancyann like this
Post by joshuat6 on Feb 23, 2016 11:17:59 GMT -6
I've created an android app ( free, open-source, no ads ) that you might find useful but unfortunately it's a little hard to find on google play. Please find the URL below and the description info as shown on google play. Questions / requests - please email me. Josh
wX is a free and Open Source ( GNU GPL3 ) Android application that is geared towards storm chasers, meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts but can be used by anyone with ease.
- Current forecast, 7 day conditions, sounding data for an unlimited number of locations from NWS.
- Customizable home screen
- OpenGL based Nexrad radar interface with optional overlays for polygon warnings, Watches, MCDs, and MPDs, storm tracks, estimated hail markers, and TVS. Level 2 in the lowest tilt for base reflectivity/velocity is also available.
- Optimized text product viewer for easy access to AFD,HWO and others from any NWS WFO.
- Vis/IR/WV/Radar mosaic viewer ( with animations ).
- Widgets ( nexrad radar, radar mosaic, vis, afd/hwo )
- SPC products ( such as Watches/MCDs/Convective Outlooks/Mesoanalysis/Storm reports with archived radar )
- WPC products
- Weather models
- Text to speech including an offline "PlayList" functionality. Additionally numerous weather related acronyms commonly used by the NWS are translated for optimal Android TTS experience.
- Voice recognition on main screen for access to common functions.
- NHC products
- Material Design theme including support for Android 4.2-4.4.
- Easy access to twitter state weather tags such as #okwx.
- Configurable including multiple color themes.
- Help is available from the main menu and by tapping on any text in the settings activities.
- Local alerts
- MCDs impacting your location
- MPDs impacting your location
- Convective outlooks for your location
- US MCD/Watches
- US tornadoes
- US MCD
- US MPD
- NHC Atlantic and EPAC advisories
Requirements: Android 4.2 or higher with 1GB of memory at a minimum ( recommended ). ARM 32bit based hardware.
Access required: App needs access to Your Location, Network Communication, Systems tools ( run at start-up for alerts ).
Suggestions / bug reports always welcomed.
Source code at: